Mixed in with all of these doodads is a little whit elephant. I like white elephants. They remind me of my Grandmother. She passed away when I was 12 so I did not get to know here well. At least not in that way that you get to know the adults in your family as you are becoming an adult yourself. I do have fond memories of her though. Here are a few:
- My grandmother had a white elephant statue in her living room. It was placed facing away from the door. It was supposed to bring luck. I am not superstitious but I enjoy having the elephant around to reminding me of her. I also have one in my living room.
- She feed me grits. I still enjoy them and eat them often.
- She allowed my parents to have fun and enjoy time sans me :-) She would baby-sit me on New Years Eve so they could go out.
- While my mom and aunts also crocheted I remember my grandmother finishing the most projects. In particular I remember a hot pink Tam that she made while showing me how to do it.
- I remember being mesmerized watching her hair turn from dark brown to gray as my mom put whit group on her head. This was the first time I remember seeing anyone get a perm (aka relaxer)
- I remember her friend from across the street wore her hair in two pigtails. She was the oldest lady I'd knew who wore her hair in pigtails.
- I remember that she mastered the art of venting. She'd get things off of her chest and out of her system without actually taking any action. Just fussing :-)
- I remember the front steps were covered in that green faux-grass. I thought it was very cool.
- I remember her mother was blind and smoked a tobacco pipe.
- I remember her joking with my mom calling me motor-mouth. I may talk a little less. But I do think I have a way with words.
|Me and Mom-mom|
What are your most joyful memories of your grand-parents?